Richeson Casein - 37ml [20% OFF LIST]
Couldn't load pickup availability
Casein (kay'seen) is a quick-drying, aqueous medium using a milk-based binding agent, and is one of the most durable mediums known to man.
Known for their versatility and array of capabilities, casein paints can be used to create a variety of effects from the rich opaques of oil to thin watercolor washes. Because casein has an exceptional integrity of color and always dries to a perfect matte finish, it is unexcelled for art reproduction.
Helpful Tips for Caseins
- Choose a rigid, non-oily surface for your work
- Establish correct drawing and value patterns with a thin underpainting
- Dilute caseins with water to make washes & transparent glazes
- Casein colors, especially reds, oranges, and yellows, tend to shift after drying
- Lighten colors by adding more water or brighten them by adding powdered pigment
- To correct an overly dark area, cover it with a more opaque layer of a lighter color
- When working on a gessoed panel, correct any errors with an eraser or a 1:9 ammonia and water mixture
For more information on how to use casein, visit our page on Casein Use.